If you have had a physical therapy session with us, chances are you have used a Thera-Band®. Thera-Band loops or commonly known by their generic term “resistance bands” are thick elastic bands that provide a way to strengthen muscles in practically any setting. Be it at home, at your PT session, or even at work while you’re on break. They come in all colors, types, and densities. The colors of the Thera-Band are the identifiers of the density. These colors are ordered in a progressive fashion and are as follows: tan, yellow, red, green, blue, black ,silver, and gold. It is also good to mention that the bands are made out of latex rubber however for those who are allergic to latex, non latex versions are also available.
There are many benefits to using resistance bands starting off with the price. They are affordable and can provide a very effective workout if used properly. Another big benefit of resistance bands is that they are easily portable. They can be folded up and carried along with you in your pocket or backpack and because of this ease of portability there will be little to no excuses for missing any home exercises that your PT has tasked you to do. Variability is also a big plus in that the amount of resistance can change by a simple swap of a band which allows you to make your exercises more challenging as you progress.
With anything come some limitations that may require a bit of learning which can be a con for some fortunately however, the pros outweigh the cons here. Below are just a few considerations to take in mind:
- It is difficult to accurately measure the amount of resistance you are using while exercising
- The resistance bands may break or become worn out
- Injury may result if you do not use your resistance band properly.
As simple as this tool may seem it is still important to emphasize proper technique and proceed with caution if not guided correctly.
Guidance in anything unfamiliar to you can only yield positive results, we understand this at Allied Health Solutions. Our experienced and highly trained physical therapists are here to assist you in the event that resistance band training is necessary. The physical therapist will walk you through the exercises, help you warm up properly and efficiently as well as give you expert feedback as to when you should progress to the next color band to prevent overexertion or injury.
- Laura Inverarity, D. O. (n.d.). Discover How and Why TheraBands Are Used in Physical Therapy. Verywell Health. https://www.verywellhealth.com/thera-band-resistance-strengthening-2696289.
- Patient Tips And Tricks Blog. Uses of Resistance Bands in Physical Therapy – Sterling Ridge Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine. (n.d.). https://srosm.com/patient-education/blog/uses-of-resistance-bands-in-physical-therapy/.