As of 2021 there are over 50 different brands of Kinesiology tape available on the market(2). Kinesiology tape or kinesio Tex tape, was developed in the 1970’s by Dr. Kenzo Kase a Japanese Chiropractor. The goal behind the development of kinesiology tape was to create something that when strategically placed on the body can provide support, lessen pain, reduce swelling, and improve overall performance without limiting overall movement the way traditional athletic tapes do.
What makes this tape different?
The tape itself is made of a proprietary blend of cotton and nylon which is designed to mimic the skin’s elasticity. It is very resistant to damage due to its material and medical grade adhesive which is water resistant and strong enough to stay on for 3 – 5 days even while you work out or take showers.
How it works
The science behind taping is based on maintaining support to the body while allowing fluids to move freely through and around the injured muscle or tendon. When the tape is applied it recoils ever so slightly, gently lifting the skin. This action helps to create a microscopic space between your skin and tissues underneath it(2)Apart from this, the tape also stabilizes the injured area by lightly applying pressure to the tissues that the tape is wrapped around. This allows the connective tissue which surrounds the affected tendon or muscle to move along with the body(1). Lastly kinesiology tape allows the free flow of blood and lymphatic fluid to reduce and heal inflammation without the use of medication.(1)
Who can benefit from kinesiology tape?
- Those who have professions which involve hard physical labor and repetitive movements (Factory workers, gardeners, mechanics, miners, etc)
- Those who sit and work at a desk for prolonged periods of time.
- Those who suffer the after effects of bad posture or even poor sleeping habits.
- Those suffering from joint,muscle, or tendon injuries.
The most common areas where taping is applied are:
How to apply kinesiology tape.
Depending on the area of the injury one may be able to apply it themselves although very difficult additionally the results yielded may not be as good as professional application. For this reason it is advised that you come in to see a physical therapist who will show you how to apply the tape in the pattern that will address your specific problem. At Allied Health Solutions our therapists are trained and highly knowledgeable on Kinesiology tape application. Our brand of choice is RockTape due to their quality. If you are interested in receiving taping or know of anyone who may benefit from taping please do not hesitate to contact us to schedule an appointment!
- Benefits of Kinesiology Tape. Orthopedics Associates. (2019, November 8). https://www.oaidocs.com/2018/09/14/benefits-of-kinesiology-tape/.
- Joy, R. (2019, March 20). What Is Kinesiology Tape? healthline. https://www.healthline.com/health/kinesiology-tape.